Club news 13 August 2018

PEIL NA MBANAfter their defeat in the 1stround of the championship at the hands of An Tochar the fortunes of our adult ladies took a turn for the better on Thursday with an 11-07 to 5-08 win over neighbours Newtown. League form would have installed Eire Og as firm favourites so it was not at all surprising that they were firmly in the driving seat, 3-1 to 0-1 after 10 minutes. The goals were supplied by Megan Healy, Rachel Purcell and Ellie ONeill and the point by Maedhbh Deeney. At this juncture Newtown came more into the game and showed that they were not going to concede defeat without a fight and chalked up 2-5 before the break.

In the early stages of the 2ndhalf Newtown had the Eire Og goals under siege but their return was kept to a minimum by the great goalkeeping of Ciara Patrick and the solid defending of Sinead Kelly, Orla ODoherty, Shauna Dillane, Wendela Zeigers and Eva Moore. Katie Lawless played the role of a roving half-forward and helped to channel a lot of good ball out of defence, and Claudia Randals controlled much of the play in the middle 3rd. Elaina Fusciardi amassed a total of 5 goals while Rachel Purcell added 3. Ellie ONeill scored 2 and Maedhbh Deeney accounted for the other.Player of the Match was Megan Healy

Senior hurling:

EIRE OG 2-18


EIRE OG GREYSTONES took the spoils from this Round 3 clash in the Dacia Senior Hurling Championship when they made the journey to Blessington to face Kiltegan.

Kiltegan suffered a blow early on when they lost corner-back Ciaran Doyle in the warm up. Nigel Byrne was his late replacement for the throw-in whereas Eire Og were short the services of Stephen Kelly and Anthony Byrne through injuries.

Eire Og, who didnt use any subs in this game, enjoyed a positive start and were far more productive with their scoring chances and landed two killer blows of goals either side of the half-time break.These two majors proved to be the difference between the two well-balanced sides in a highly sporting game played out pleasant sunny conditions.

James Cranley landed the opening point for the east coast side in the fourth minute after both sides traded a couple of bad wides early on. Cranley, who was in fine form throughout the evening, landed another brace of points.

Kiltegans Jonathan Tallon turned over an Eire Og clearance and laid off to Seanie Germaine who got the west men on the board with a point in the eighth minute. Rory Finn slowed down the Greystones dominance around the centre with a couple of good catches and launched plenty of attacks, but the inside forward line could not convert it into much needed scores.

Dan ONeill drew a point blank save from a Seanie Germaine rasper in the next attack. Sharpshooter, James Cranley pointed from a free before Peter Keane landed a monster of a point from 70 meters out the field to close out the first quarter with the scoreboard reading 0-5 to 0-1 in favour of Greystones side.

A trio of unanswered points followed for Eire Og, with the pick of them from Cranley, out on the sideline, from the 14-meter line, he split the posts. Towering full-forward Andy Walsh was doing untold damage in the Kiltegan defence all throughout the game. The giant of a target man hit his first score of the game with a sweet overhead flick in the 20th minute.

Again, with superb work from Rory Finn and Ronan Byrne, Kiltegan rose up a gear and hit back with three points on the bounce, one each from Padraig Byrne and Padraig OToole, with Rory Finn splitting the Greystones defence wide open with a solo run and he finished the size five sliotar over the crossbar with his boot to leave it a three-point game.

When Jonathan Tallon rifled over a long-range point to leave the deficit at two points, it looked game on. However, Eire Og responded with a sweet point from Andy Walsh followed by another from Brian Lawless.

Aaron Byrne dropped an effort short, Eire Og cleared and swept up the field with Michael Walsh pulling the sliotar out of the sky and carving the Kiltegan defence open, popping off to Eoin Dorgan, who shook Daniel Troys net to finish off a blistering counter attack with 28 played in what turned out a crucial period of the game.

James Cranley pointed another placed ball from the carpet before Seanie Germaine replied with a point to end the first half with the score reading 1-12 to 0-07 in favour of Greystones side. Padraig Byrne converted a beast from the 65m line for Kiltegan on the restart to give the west side a much-needed boost.

In the next attack, Peter Keane dropped a high ball into the danger zone where man-mountain Andy Walsh won and somehow dispatched it to the net for another crucial score in the 34th minute.

Eire Og tagged on another brace of points from Pooch Cranley, and a screamer of a point from the hurl of Kristin Flynn who was flying at this stage. Seanie Germaine slowed down the Eire Og men somewhat with a smashing point from a 65 to close out the third quarter with the score 2-14 to 0-09. Nigel Byrne (Snr) brought on a couple of fresh legs for Kiltegan. Ronan Byrne made a darting run up the field and laid off to Steven Coogan who raised a white flag for the west side.

Quick puck-outs were a feature of Eire Ogs game and Kristin Flynn tagged on a point. The intensity of the game rose up a couple of notches with some heavy tackling by both sides as the Hollywood official seemed shy about using his whistle at times, great for the neutrals, but much to the disbelief of both management teams.

Mark Murphy and Padraig OToole, who battled hard for Kiltegan all evening, tagged on a point each. Michael Walshe replied with a fine point for Eire Og. Seanie Germaine landed his fifth and final point of the game in the 57th minute before James Cranley landed the N11 sides 18th and final point in the next play.

Kiltegan pointed the last score of the game after the evergreen Geoffrey Bermingham broke through, clearing three defenders out of his way, then selling a dummy to another Eire Og man, before the former county legend slotted the sliotar superbly over the black spot with fine aplomb for the final score of the evening.

Eire Og will be delighted to get the two points on the league table to draw level with Kiltegan as we go into round four. Next time out, Eire Og meet Carnew, and Kiltegan face the reigning champions, Glenealy.

Scorers – Eire Og: James Cranley 0-8 (3f), Andrew Walsh 1-2, Eoin Dorgan 1-0, Kristin Flynn 0-3, Michael Walsh 0-2, Peter Keane 0-1, Leon Browne 0-1, Brian Lawless 0-1.

Kiltegan: Seanie Germaine 0-5 (1f, 65), Padraig OToole 0-4, Padraig Byrne 0-2 (65), Steven Coogan 0-1, Rory Finn 0-1, Jonathan Tallon 0-1, Mark Murphy 0-1, Geoffrey Bermingham 0-1.

Dan ONeill; Shaun Hughes, Michael Arrigan, Daniel OConnor; Eoghan Potts, Billy Cuddihy, Kristin Flynn; Peter Keane, Conail Deeney; Leon Browne, Michael Walsh, Brian Lawless; James Cranley, Andrew Walsh, Eoin Dorgan.


EIRE OG 2-11


THIS Junior C championship match played in Greystones last Friday night although dominated for a large part by Eire Og had an exciting finish ending in a draw.

Eire Og led 0-6 to 0-2 after 20 minutes with points from Sean Coveney, Kenny Naughton, Luke Bradley, Kurt Stark and Willie OHagan (0-2) and but for wayward shooting could have been much further in front. Former Senior player Willie OHagan operating at centre half back directed a lively Eire Og first half performance.

A young Blues team, however, if JP Moran and Geoff Elliott, are excluded stayed in the match but were still five points down at half time Greystones leading 0-9 to 0-4, the Blessington scores in the first half coming from Adam Murphy, Dara McGorman and two from Jordan McGarr.

The game looked over for the Blessington lads when Gary Elliott goaled for Eire Og six minutes into the second half to put Eire Og seven points up.

The Eire Og shooting in front of the goal, however, continued to be erratic in the second half, the team kicked 20 wides over the0 hour while in the meantime the Blues took advantage of the Eire Og deficiencies, Jordan McGarr (0-3) and James Jackson (0-1) adding points for Blessington.

The Blues threw the game into the melting pot on the 20th and 21st minute with goals from Jordan McGarr and Eoin Higgins and a point from Adam Murphy to put Blessington two points up.

Eoin ONeill and Gary Elliott brought Greystones back in front with a goal and a point, however, points from Jordan McGarr and James Jackson in the closing minutes levelled the match.

There was no doubt that if Eire Og Greystones can be more efficient in front of goal that they will trouble a lot of teams in this Junior C Championship.

While Blessington were fielding a third team for the first time in many years will be pleased that several of their young players are getting game time.

The Kilcoole Junior C team who travel to Blessington tomorrow night were interested spectators at the game in a group where any three of four teams can still qualify.

Fran Chatham; Dermot Blake, Gary Dunne, Sean Minogue; Thomas OBrien, Willie OHagan (0-4), Daniel Byrne; Niall Delaney, Luke Bradley (0-1); Kurt Stark (0-2), Paul Doherty, Andrew Kiely; Brian OSullivan, Kenny Naughton (0-1), Sean Coveney (0-1). Subs: Eoin ONeill (1-0), Gary Elliott (1-2).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *