Club news 23 July 2018

Cul camps: Unprecedented numbers signed on for the 2 Cul Camps hosted by the club. 190 players, camogie and hurling, took part in last weeks camp, the last session of which was disrupted by rain.The football camp which is being run this week has 200 participants and from the enquires during last weeks camp it could have been much larger if logistics allowed.

Ladies Football:Saturday evening the Eire Og ladies travelled to An Tochar to play the locals in the 1stround of their championship and eventhough they amassed the huge total of 6-6, a score that would win most matches, they came away disappointed.An Tochar trumped the Eire Og return with a whopping 7-12, 6-4 of which was contributed by county player, Amy Murphy.

The 1sthalf was evenly contested and ended with Eire Og having a 1 goal advantage, 3-2 to 1-5, (2 goals from Rachel Purcell and a goal from a penalty by Kerrianne Hamilton.).Nothing about this period gave a hint of the deluge of scores which would arrive after the break.

Bewilderment appropriately describes the reaction of the Eire Og following to the emergence of Amy Murphy from near anonymity in the 1sthalf to play such a dominant role in the 2nd.After the interval Amy assumed a Cora Staunton bustling person and every time she had the ball she had the Eire Og defence at sixes and sevens and it was unable to prevent her from building up a personal tally of an unbelievable 6-3.The Eire Og scores came from Rachel Purcell (3-0),Maedhbh Deeney (1-3),Terrianne Hamilton (1-1), Lisa Murphy and Eva Roche (0-1) each.

Senior footballers pipped:IN stark contrast to the opening Renault Senior Football Championship game played in Aughrim on Sunday evening last, the second game played between Hollywood and Eire Og was a far more evenly contested affair as the Greystones men pressed the men from the west all the way.

Hollywood got off to a good start and Tony Hannon got them into an early lead when he pointed a free coming up to five minutes into the game. One minute later, centre forward PJ OKeeffe broke through on the right-hand side of the field, came in close to the end line and fisted the ball across the goal where the wily old veteran Tony Hannon knocked it into the net for what was to be the only goal of the game.

Matt Kelly added a point to leave Hollywood ahead by 1-2 before Eire Og got on the scoreboard.This strong opening was very important in the context of the entire game as Eire Og were only four points adrift at the end.They lined out without the services of Stephen Kelly who is nursing a hand injury and needed to place Darren Hayden at the centre of their defence instead of his usual club location in the attack. Johnny Donahue got the Greystones side off the mark with a point after seven minutes.

A Darren Hayden free five minutes later reduced the lead to a goal. Stephan Kearney and Thomas Burke scored two further Hollywood points before Danny Keane replied for Eire Og. Johnny McDonald and Danny Woods pointed for the seasiders but Conor Burke responded for the western side.

It was tit for tat on the scoreboard at this stage but from here to the end of the first half Hollywood entered a period of dominance.A Jamie McDonald point for Eire Og on 20 minutes led to an unanswered run of Hollywood points from Matt Kelly, PJ OKeeffe (2), Eoin Burke and Tony Hannon. Coming up to the half-time break Danny Keane had two quick points for Eire Og to leave the half-time score at 1-10 to 0-8 in favour of Hollywood.Keane had a fine outing and his contribution helped to keep the scoreboard ticking over for the Greystones men.

Eire Og came more into the picture in the second half and took the game to their opponents. However, Ciaran Tyrell got the first score, a point for Hollywood after three minutes. Darragh Shiels responded for Eire Og but Thomas Burke pointed again for Hollywood and Stephan Kearney added another on ten minutes.

Hollywood did not score again for 20 minutes as Eire Og came more and more into the game. Darren Hayden (1) and Danny Keane with two points had the margin down to four points as the game entered time added.Tony Hannon finished as he began with a Hollywood point in the first minute of time added. Eire Og substitute Cian OFlaherty got the final point of the game two minutes into time added.The final score was Hollywood 1-14, Eire Og 0-13. While glad to have gotten their campaign off to a successful start, Hollywood will be only too well aware that they fell away in the second half and did not score at all for a twenty-minute period.

Eire Og were left to ponder what if about that opening six or seven minutes in the first half when Hollywood got away on them.

Junior C footballers off to a flyer: Thursday just gone are junior c team commenced their first round championship game against Barndarrig Gaa Club. The team had a reasonably good run in division four prior to the start of the championship and we’re looking forward to getting up and running. On a lovely evening for football the game started out with the Greystones men slow enough out of the blocks and registering 5 wides before they managed to get the first score, however following that first point our boys became much more clinical in the final 20 minutes of the first half and came in at HT 1-09 to 0-00 ahead. Heading out in the second half it seems like a lot of the work was already done, having said that, our backs diligently stuck to the task and only conceded 1 point over the course of the whole 2nd half & while our forwards continued to create chances we did manage to only put away two goals and two points in the second half leaving lots of room for improvement. All in all though the management of the Junior C team were very pleased to get a win on a scoreline of 3-11 to 0-01 under their belts at the beginning of this competitive championship.

Very strong performances all around with special mention for Kurt Starke, Willie O’Hagan, Gary Dunne, Dermot Blake & Andy Kealy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *