Club News 24 July 2022

Minor Hurling: Éire Óg Greystones netted goals galore to defeat Bray Emmets 4-10 to 2-15 in third round of the Pettitts Supervalu Wicklow Minor hurling championship.

This tightly contested match on Monday evening in Emmet Park started off with both teams’ defences well on top, soaking up early pressure.

Bray Emmets corner-forward Willie Cash and midfielder Liam Egan were the only players to score in the opening 10 minutes, making it two points to no score to the home side. An early warning sign of Éire Óg’s goal threat came on the quarter of an hour mark as corner-forward Sean Meyler showed great pace to beat his marker, played across to Paddy Marrinan who struck the ball into goalmouth which was intercepted by defender Senan Croke.

The first goal arrived just two minutes later when Greystones full-forward Seamus Darcy was blocked down in front of goal, but midfielder Oscar Lane capitalised to make it 1-0 to 2 points in favour of the visitors.

Willy Cash and Éire Óg’s Joshua Barry exchanged frees before a long ball that was sent into the Greystones box by Liam Doyle caused a mix up in the defence which Willie Cash took the invitation and sent the ball to the back of the net to leave Bray now looking well on top.

Greystones then soaked up some pressure before quickly breaking up the field on the attack and thanks to some fantastic passing, Paddy Marrinan found the back of the net, the score now level 2-1 to 1-4 with five minutes left in the first half.

Bray Emmets centre-back Darragh Shannon hit a long-range free, a 65 and full-forward Tristan Doherty finished over the bar from close range to put Bray Emmets three points up but crucially Éire Óg goalkeeper Dean Barry pulled off a double save from forwards Ronan Hogan and Willie Cash to keep the score 1-7 to 2-1 at the half-time whistle.

Bray Emmets and Éire Óg Greystones started the first half exchanging three points, two for Bray centre-forward Ryan Harrison and one from a free by Willie Cash, Mick Carroll-Moorehouse and Oscar Lane got points from play with Joshua Barry adding a point from a free for Greystones.

Sean Meyler would get Éire Óg back level after capitalising on a goalmouth scramble, which was followed up with another goal three minutes later by Mick Carroll-Moorehouse and wing back Daniel Burns added a point to give Greystones a four-point lead.

Bray quickly overturned this putting themselves a point up, firstly with a goal from Ryan Harrison whose long-range effort flew over the head of Éire Óg’s goalkeeper, then Willie Cash added a point from play and from a free making it 2-12 to 4-5 with 10 minutes left.

Daniel Burns and Cash exchanged points before Bray goalkeeper Adam Windsor pulled off a miraculous save from Éire Óg centre-forward Ryan McCorrick, the rebound was picked up by Greystones substitute Sean Gillespie who finished over the bar to bring the game level with five minutes to play.

The Greystones lads would get three of the next four points including two from midfielder Alec Bartac, leaving them two in front with time almost up.

Bray got a free on the 45 which Willie Cash stood over and looked to power it towards goal, however the trajectory of his super effort was a little too high and this brought and end to a cracking encounter with the final scored reading Éire Óg Greystones 4-10, Bray Emmets 2-15.

Éire Óg Greystones: Dean Barry; Cian Power, James O’Dowd, Tom Meyler; Jack Caffery, Thomas O’Connell, Daniel Burns (0-2); Oscar Lane (1-1), Alec Bartac (0-2); Paddy Marinan (1-0), Ryan McCorrick, Joshua Barry (0-3, 3f); Mick Carroll-Moorehouse (1-1), Seamus Darcy, Sean Meyler (1-0). Subs: Sean Gillespie (0-1) for Sean Meyler (52).

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.