Club News 7 June 2021

Slider 1

U11 Match One

Kilcoole GAA Club played host to three under-15 football finals in Group 4 of the mini leagues organised in 2020.

These games were all postponed when the GAA shut down juvenile activity because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

It was great to see six teams of underage players plus their mentors, supporters and families come together once again on Bank Holiday Monday in ideal playing conditions.

Éire Óg Greystones and An Tóchar opened proceedings with Anthony McLoughlin in charge of the whistle. The game was evenly balanced early on but by the time of the first water break the Greystones lads had begun to establish a good lead.

An Tochar were battling hard in defence but were unable to make any headway up front. Éire Óg had built up a comfortable lead by half-time while An Tóchar had still to get on the scoreboard. Niall Barry, Gethin Davies, Tiernan Farrell, Tom Farrell, Christian Maxwell, and Cillian Walsh – in fact any of the Greystones outfit was capable of scoring.

An Tóchar, just like in the first half, started well, but their efforts did not get any reward on the scoreboard. Luke Rooney did score four points, one from a free, and there were strong performances from Rory Wolohan, Finn Walsh, Conor Hawkins and Zach Kavanagh.

However, Éire Óg had too much scoring power and ran out comfortable winners at the end. Danny Howard, captain of the Greystones side, was presented with the winning trophy by Jack Napier, on behalf of Bord na nÓg. He congratulated both sides and their mentors on the standard of play served up by under-11 footballers.

Éire Óg: Niall Barry, Donnacha Browne, Gethin Davies, Senan Dutton, Tiernan Farrell, Tom Farrell, Danny Howard, Christian Maxwell, Harry McGeehan, Stephan Moran, Harry Ovenden, Finn Slowey, Cillian Walsh, Dexter Whyte, Joey Grogan, John O’Boyle.

U11 Match Two

Éire Óg and St. Patricks lined out in the second under-11 football final of the day in Kilcoole on Monday afternoon.

This Greystones squad was equally as well coached as their club colleagues who played in the opening game.

St. Patrick’s were struggling for numbers in this encounter but nevertheless battled hard to stay in the game.

Daniel Connolly, Luke Connelly, Harry Cowan, Bill Guinan and Ben O’Leary gave as good as they got but once again Éire Óg possessed too much fire power and were comfortably ahead by the half-time break.

The Wicklow town lads came well into the game in the early stages of the second half but were unable to make any significant impression in the scoring stakes due to Éire Óg’s dominance.

Luke Connolly scored a goal and Benn O’Leary also got on the score sheet with a point, but Éire Óg drove on and began to pull away. Jayden Byrne, Fionn Clarke Twomey, Jack Creamer, Fionn Crean, Darragh Hanlon, Darragh McGrath and Shane O’Dowd were all proving too strong and well drilled and ran out comfortable winners in the end.

Captain Rory Coyle was presented with the winner’s trophy by Liam O’Loughlin on behalf of Bord na nÓg.

Éire Óg: Jayden Byrne, Fionn Clarke Twomey, Rory Coyle, Jack Creamer, Fionn Crean, Max Doyle, Mathew Gormley, Darragh Hanlon, Darragh McGrath, Eoin McLarnon, Shane O’Dowd, Dan O’Sullivan, Jake Somers, Roddy Thompson, Ciaran O’Lideadha, Finn McLuskey.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.