Weekly News 29 November 2021

U19 men’s footballers off to a flyer: It was a great start for our U19 boys footballers last weekend. In their first match in the “A” championship they defeated Rathnew 3-09:2-04. This victory was built on a strong first-half performance which saw the lads take a commanding lead. They withstood a Rathnew second-half comeback to run out worthy winners. They travel to play Baltinglass, tomorrow (Sunday) in their second match. Read a match report at the end of our club notes https://eireoggreystones.com/weekly-news-29-november-2021/

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Football, Fun and Friendship at First G4M&O Blitz: The wintery conditions last Tuesday didn’t stop our Gaelic For Mothers and Others (G4M&O) players from having a blast at their first-ever blitz. Big thanks to St Patrick’s, Wicklow Town, Foxrock Cabinteely and Bray Emmets for coming out. Learn more about G4M&O at https://eireoggreystones.com/gaelic-for-mothers-and-others/

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

Club shop: There’s still time to buy items from our online club shop to ensure Christmas delivery. There is now also some new stock available. Go to www.eireoggreystones.com

Out in the old (or rented) and in with the new: Our brand new generator was delivered this morning. You may recall that our last one died after 20 years of loyal service and we’ve been renting one in the meantime. This one is an upgrade and will help illuminate the fields of dreams for years to come! It was a very very significant financial outlay, so why not play our club lotto. Tickets €2 https://bit.ly/3xjk0Sz Last week’s winning numbers were 1, 15, 20 & 21. The weekly cash prize winners were Seán Tiernan and Clare Doyle. 

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

U19 Boys Footballers: Éire Óg laid down an early marker in the under-19 championship with a fully deserved victory over Rathnew in Greystones Sunday morning. With both sides enjoying Minor and underage success in recent years they will have designs on this championship, but it was the home side who set their stall out early.

The home side were faster out of the blocks and were five points to the good at the first water break with the scores coming from captain Luke Dorgan (2), Cillian Keane (2) and Roy Byrne.

They were moving the ball with terrific speed and their running game especially with Cillian Keane creating many chances.

In defence, Conor O’Donovan was giving the job of marking Rathnew dangerman Eoin Doyle and he was sticking to his task manfully limiting the sharpshooter to one score throughout the contest.

Two goals in two minutes after the water break for the hosts really gave the village a mountain to climb.

Cian Hynes fed Dorgan he off loaded to Joseph Prendergast whose effort cannoned off the post however Keane following in rifled home.

Sixty seconds later Keane unselfishly turned provider. After collecting an off load from full-forward Eoin O’Neill, he was in on goal but elected to pass across to Prendergast who had the simple task of placing to the empty net.

Further points by Keane and Conor Fulham had the lead out to thirteen before Sean Coffey landed a free for the visitors on the stroke of half-time to leave the scores 2-7 to 0-1.

On the resumption it was business as usual for the hosts with an outstanding piece of skill from Toby Owens flicking a loose ball up on the run and lobbing over in one smooth motion and moments later Daniel Healy had Greystones third goal after more donkey work done by Keane in the lead up.

In fairness to Rathnew they are the one club that will never throw in the towel even at 16 points down. With Sean Coffey injured in the first half he moved to full-forward and his presence in there did cause Éire Óg problems. Centre forward William Moorehouse launched a ball in on top of the target man he fielded magnificently showed his strength to create space and swiped his effort to the net.

When corner-forward Ross Quinn and Doyle with the score of the day were added to by another Coffey goal the comeback was not beyond the realms of possibility. However, a bit of a melee saw O’Donovan and Coffey get straight reds and with that the contest fizzled out. Another Keane free and a Cian Furlong point for the village were the only scores in the closing 15 minutes.

Rathnew will feel their slow start killed them with the Coffey injury and subsequent red card really hindering their chances. Eoin Doyle also will not be held as tightly again. They will still have a serious say in this championship.

Éire Óg were superb especially in the first half with Luke Dorgan and Conor O’Donovan influential throughout, however Cillian Keane was immense throughout and a deserving man of the match.

Éire Óg: Sean O’Neill; Conor O’Donovan, Colm Condron, Oisin Shanahan; Daniel Healy (1-0), Thade Shanahan, Indy Kenny; Conor Fulham (0-1), Roy Byrne (0-1); Toby Owens (0-1), Cian Hynes, Cillian Keane (1-4); Joseph Prendergast (1-0), Eoin O’Neill, Luke Dorgan (0-2). Subs: Colm Short, Paddy Byrne, Chris Stuart, Cian O’Lionaigh, Fionn Melia, Callum O’Connor, Mark Hayden.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.